Consumer-SOS Legal Help and Consumer Advice

Contact Us 

Accidents & Injuries
Banks & Credit Unions
Cars & Motor Vehicles
Children & Parents
Credit & Debt
Crime Victims Domestic Violence
Criminal Justice&Police Misconduct
Divorce & Marriage
Food Matters

& Gov. Assistance

Health & Medical
Health Clubs


Home Matters

Mail & Postal
Money & Investments
Licensing Boards

People Search

Phone & Utilities

Public Records

Refunds, Repairs & Replacements
Scams & Cons
Support Groups
Wills, Probate & Estates 
Work/The Wk Place

Home  Georgia Home Matters

Provides well written, authoritative advice on buying home and other insurance as well as dealing with insurers.  Buyers can search for firms offering specific coverage in their state and can check a company's strength.  You can also link to insurance companies, quote services and agents, but any  selling takes place off their website site.

See Consumer-SOS/Insurance

Back To Top


Find The AARP In Your State
The AARP offers legal advocacy for seniors and may also have state specific consumer brochures which are available to everyone.

Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Association
(404) 521-0790  
Free legal assistance if you earn under a certain amount.

Home Defense Program (404) 377-0705 ext 236  
To assist homeowners who have been victims of predatory mortgage lending practices, home-equity theft, title conversion scams, home purchase fraud or home repair rip-offs. Serving the Atlanta area, Gwinnett, Clayton and Cobb counties.  Fraud help is directed to lower and moderate income homeowners. Contact: Bill Brennan, Project Director.

Housing Stabilization & Re-Entry Project (404) 614-3920  
Part of Legal Aid, they help families keep their homes and improves conditions of low-income individuals.  Also offers public education presentations on tenants rights and responsibilities. Contact: Anne Bunton, Project Director.

For More Help, See Lawyers, Courts & Self Help

Back To Top

Media & NonProfits

Channel 11/WXIA Call For Action (678) 422-8466
Volunteers hear consumer complaints and act as mediators between the service provider and aggrieved consumer and seller.  These volunteers have the clout of a major TV station behind them and this often makes people much more cooperative. 

Channel 2/WSB CONSUMER ACTION CENTER (404) 892-8227

Atlanta Better Business Bureau (404) 688-4910

Back To Top

Mortgage Issues & Loan Programs

     If you want to buy a house but don't think you can afford the down payment, consider this: Many lenders offer programs which allow a buyer to get a home for as little as 3 percent by using mortgage insurance.  The premiums vary, depending on the size of the down payment, type of mortgage, and the amount of insurance coverage. 

Many of the groups below either regulate the Mortgage industry or offer assistance for lower income first time buyers. The website offer loans for anyone who qualifies.

HUD Homes For Sale In Georgia

Department Of Agriculture

For information about rural housing loan programs.
Provides to be homeowners with information on their credit and obtaining a mortgage.

Bankrate Monitor
Will tell you the best rates for a mortgage or home equity loan.
Licensed in at least 40 states, E-LOAN allows consumers to apply for a home loan via e-mail. On this site, consumers can search for the best rates on mortgages and home equity loans. It costs nothing to apply for a loan and your application will get a response within 24 to 48 hours.
Current and past mortgage rates and market commentary.  Loan terms and conditions explained.

Federal Trade Commission-Division Of Credit Practices Bureau Of Consumer Protection (202) 326-3224
For complaints, and reporting unfair lending practices.

GA. Department Of Banking And Finance (770) 986-1633  
To report problems with GA mortgage companies.

Atlanta Center For Home Ownership (404) 685-4960 or(404) 588-3701  
Focuses on finding lenders and providing home ownership education.

Affordable Housing Hotline (404) 222-2739  
Prerecorded information on mortgages, owning a home, and finding low priced homes in Atlanta.

Housing Counseling Center (404) 659-6744 or (404) 508-0922
Counseling for homeowners and first-time buyers in Dekalb and Fulton counties.  They advise on everything from reverse mortgages for the elderly to repair options like deferred rehabilitation programs.

Consumer Credit Counseling Service (404) 653-8875

Federal Housing Administration (800) 225-5342  
For information about FHA-insured home mortgage loans on one to four family dwellings.

HUD Customer Service Distribution Center (800) 767-7468  
Can order lots of government publications on your legal rights.

HUD Counseling Clearing House (888) 466-3487  
Provides a variety of contacts and information for first-time home buyers, owners, renters and people at risk of default or foreclosure.

Fannie Mae (800) 732-6643  
Lender with various home ownership programs.

Back To Top

Moving Companies  (Complaints)   

Georgia Office Of Consumer Affairs (404) 651-8600/656-3790 or (800) 869-1123
They regulate a wide variety of businesses and prosecute companies in violation of the Georgia Fair Business Practice Act.

Federal Highway Adminstration (FHWA) (202) 358-7027  (to check on licensing)  
For complaints, licensing and insurance status on interstate moving companies. 

American Moving & Storage Association (703) 683-7410       
They can tell you if the mover is licensed.  For disputes, you have only 60 days after a move to request for arbitration with an interstate mover.  All requests must be in writing.  

Find The AARP In Your State
The AARP offers legal advocacy for seniors and may also have state specific consumer brochures which are available to everyone.

GA Pub. Service Commission Motor Carrier Division
(404) 559-6603  
Regulates moving companies that do intra-state moves within the state of Georgia.  Call them to see if a mover is licensed and in good standing.  Movers who repeatedly damage property may have their license revoked.

Federal Highway Department Of Transportation (404) 562-3620 For interstate moving problems involving companies based in Georgia and to check whether an interstate mover is insured.

Atlanta Better Business Bureau (404) 688-4910  
Find out the complaint record of movers with offices in Atlanta. If the mover is outside Atlanta, call the BBB nearest where the mover has its office or headquarters.

Back To Top


Atlanta Public Works One Call Customer Service (404) 330-6250
To report disorderly property, vacant lots or any property (public or private) that is unsanitary or unsightly. Examples of reportable conditions include trapped litter, exterior storage of junk, existence of trash or rubbish (including old tires, junked cars, kudzu vines, over growth of various kinds of weeds and plants) and dumping on public and private properties. Relevant City Of Atlanta Code Sections include 9-6003, 14-7091, 17-9014.  

Bureau Of TaxiCabs&Vehicles For Hire (404) 658-7600
To Complaint about taxicabs, their fares, horn honking, etc.

How To Start Your Own Neighborhood Watch (Good For All States)
See Also Basic Tips To Follow For Stopping Crime

Health & Safety


Neighborhood Organizations
Find out about neighborhood watches and other community groups in your area or anywhere else throughout the country.


Back To Top


Dept. Of Parks, Recreation & Cultural Affairs (404) 817-6751
Reporting prohibited activities such as driving across the grounds, being in the park after designated hours, playing loud music, hanging unproved advertisements.  Illegal activity should also be reported to the police. Relevant City Of Atlanta Code Sections include: 10-2001, 10-2020, 17-10001, 17-10005.

Back To Top


Real Estate Links For Most States and Big Cities

State Board Of Realtors (Fulton County) (404) 250-0051 Realtors (call the county where the realtor does business)  

Georgia Real Estate Commission (404) 656-3916 (404) 656-3916

For more on who regulates them, See Occupational Licensing Boards

Back To Top


RESPA Enforcement (202) 708-4560
Regulates escrow and loan servicing accounts (the taxes and insurance on a mortgage).


RESPA Resource Links For Many Of The States

For more information about RESPA and where to for complaints.

Back To Top   


How Do I ........ (City Of Atlanta)
Report water & sewage leaks, look up city ordinances, obtain a building permit, pay traffic tickets, etc.

Bureau of Highways and Streets (404) 330-6245
For potholes and other street repairs.

Public Words Department Of Public Services (404) 330-6087
Deals with issues concerning sidewalk damage, curbs and dead end streets. Property owners must repair the sidewalks in front of their property or they can be fined for non-compliance.

Department of Infrastructure (404) 330-6249  
For placing speed bumps to slow down traffic, bridges.

Department Of Traffic And Transportation (404) 330-6255  
Contact them if you think lowering the speed limit in a particular street will increase safety.  They can recommend to City Council that the speed limit for that street be reduced. 

Public Works (404) 730-7400
To report broken street lights, sloppy bus shelters and sidewalk and street problems.  Note that owners of property are the ones responsible for keeping those sidewalks clean of debris, dirt, trash, snow, ice, and keeping sidewalks in a passable condition.  Relevant Atlanta City Code Sections include: 9-3004, 9-30016, 9-3086, 9-3089, 9-6008.

Back To Top  



How Do I ........ (City Of Atlanta)
Learn about home exemptions, report water & sewage leaks, look up city ordinances, etc.

Tax Assessor Data Base (All 50 States, Not DC)
Find phone numbers and links to tax assessors throughout the US. 

*Fulton County Tax Commissioner(Scroll Down Alphabetically)
Provide receiving and collection services, assist taxpayers with research on property ownership and assessment information, research undeliverable tax billings for correct mailing addresses and receive and prepare documentation for tax payments to be processed.

See Consumer-SOS-Taxes

Back To Top


Department Of Transportation (DOTs)(50 States, Not DC)
For help with car related issues ie, car damaged caused by pavement, unsafe streets, traffic, bridges and roads, etc.

Commute Connections (877) 433-3463  
This free service links you up with a car or vanpool in your area. They seek to reduce traffic congestion by making it faster, cheaper and less stressful for you to get to work or day care. Ask for their list of carpooling tips for joining and participating in a safe, reliable car or vanpool.

Bureau Of TaxiCabs&Vehicles For Hire (404) 658-7600
To Complaint about taxicabs, their fares, horn honking, etc.

Georgians For Better Transportation (770) 934-3800  
This non profit lobbies for investment in all means of improved transportation. They advise the government on a variety of transportation related issues that range from getting adequate funding for transportation, to expanding airports and reducing traffic. They also educate consumers on how various transportation laws affect their community.

Talk to this group for guidance on how to lobby for improved transportation. Even if they can't lobby for you directly, they can show you how to organize and who to talk to.

Back To Top 


Atlanta Arborist (404) 817-6814  

Back To Top 

Truth In Lending Problems

Federal Reserve Board
For information on the Truth In Lending Act and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.

Back To Top   


The Georgia Public Service Commission (800) 282-5813,

Regulates electric and utilities companies in Georgia.

Utilities Protection Center (800) 282- 7411 (770) 623-4344
They'll flag lines buried in your yard at no charge.  Call them before you dig.

Atlanta Gas & Light Deregulation Hotline (877) 427-2464 Provides tips on choosing a gas company and lists which ones are certified by the Public Service Commission.

For More See Phones & Utilities

Back To Top


The Department Of Veteran Affairs (800) 827-1000
For information about the various programs available to veterans.  

Back To Top


Nuisances (Consumer-SOS)

Bureau Of Buildings (404) 330-6175  
To report concerns with how a property being used.  Concerns may include the following: too many personal care homes, astrologers, pawnbrokers, masseurs, or adult business within the neighborhood, or any of those business operating without a license. Call during normal bus. hours. Relevant City Of Atlanta Code Sections include: 14-5091, 14-6231, 14-6031, 16-28.016.

Back To Top